Chapter 5 discusses in-depth how to create a mobile journalist go-bag with accessories that will allow you to gather quality content with your device.
Preparation begins well before you head to a story. There’s nothing more frustrating than when something that could have easily been prevented goes wrong in the field.
So, don’t wait until you’re in the field to complete this checklist. Store this mobile journalism checklist in your “go” bag.
- Do you have all the gear you normally use? Mic(s), headphones, monopod, etc.
- Do you have enough memory on your device(s)? Check your device settings for this information.
- Are your devices charged? What about your portable charger? Did you remember your car charger?
- Do you have batteries for equipment that needs them?
- Do you have all the cords for your devices?
- Do you have all the social media and production apps on your phone that you’ll need to get the job done?
- Have you tested the mic(s) you plan on using?
- Have you searched for locations where you can tap into wi-fi, if you need it? Certain apps pinpoint on a map where public wi-fi spots are located.
- Recharge and repack as soon as you get home or back to the newsroom!